Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Mountains No Mas

     I'm sitting in my cube here at work.  The mountains are no longer vivid. The faint whisper of a dream is all that remains of my epic summer in the Sawatch.  I owe so much thanks to Gina and Will for their help with our Nolan's Project.  I think I understand now, what the hell is going on out there.  I'm looking forward to 2016 and I'll be organizing my schedule to focus exclusively on another attempt.  Of course I'll put in for Barkley and Hardrock, but outside of that my focus is on the Nolan's Line.  The training that will be necessary for each of these events is very similar and complimentary.
     I have about 8 or 9 handwritten pages which tells the story of the summer of 2015. The scouting, the pacing, the beer drinking, the attempt, and the fun times in Leadville.  I'll publish that later on this week.  What did I learn? 
     Two things.  The African proverb is true, "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together."  In this case, the Virgina Slims marketing campaign was also right, "You've come a long way, baby." 
      So, go out there and find something big to do.  Real big, commensurate with your current ability level.  Grab some of your friends and go for it.  Don't look back, take some risks.  You may not succeed the first time, or the second time, but you will go far and you will come a long way.  Much further than you would have otherwise.  If life is relationships, then you'll form no stronger bonds than those of shared experiences whether they be of misery or happiness. 
   

No comments: