Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Books

I've been wanting to write about my love affair with books.
My grandma taught me how to read when I was two or three. I don't actually remember this but that is what she used to tell me. I used to read encyclopedias in the second grade, and the third grade I read most of the Greek mythology. I didn't understand it all, but Hercules and Jason and the Argonauts, Medusa, Diana, Hermes, were all pretty bad ass stories. In the sixth grade I read all kinds of Louis L'Amour. With the classic line, "the attack broke just as quickly as it had begun" I read Lord of the Flies in the 6th grade, cause it sounded like a cool story, but I didn't get as much out of it as I did in the 11th grade. My senior year in high school, they kicked me out of art. Which wasn't a big loss, I thought making clay pots was stupid as hell. I guess they thought they would punish me by making me a library aide. They were wrong. I loved it. The librarian was a little off, but a pretty nice guy I guess. He let me have like 50 books they were going to discard because they were so old. I read books mostly, and never figured out the Dewey decimal system. So what. In the Army I used to read all the technical manuals, field manuals, SMCT, and regulations for fun. For the last 10 years, I get to read technical manuals at work. They are pretty dry, but I just skip through the bullshit, and get down to the nitty gritty. They are fairly complicated, but not like programming. That shit is hard. Not my style. I started building my library about 10 years ago. I used to spend 100 a week at Barnes and Noble, or half-priced books, or Boders. Now I just buy on Amazon. With the advent of the Kindle, it has been predicted that books will go the way of the dodo bird, and that may be true. I bought one in 2009. I read like 5 books on it the first 2 months. It is a nice product, I won't lie there. I was really excited about it. But, I don't use it much anymore. I've got about 1,000 books. Probably comes out to a ton of books. ha. They range from classical novels, to history, economics, politics, sociology, etc.. Hell I kept almost all my books from college, since I didn't have to pay for them. In history, it ranges from Greek and Roman, all the way up the modern era. I have been buying quite a few books from the Mises Institute. I can't stop. I read most all of Hemingway, and currently working on Erich Remarque. Just wherever my thoughts, lead me, there I go grabbing another book. I'm bad about reading a hundred pages, and starting another book. I wonder sometimes, when I die, "WTF is my sister going to do with all these books?" Who knows, maybe they can be donated to a library, if they even have real books then. If not, maybe the will just end up in a landfill. Anyway, don't ask to borrow any. You'll never return 'em anyway. If I like you, I'll probably just give you the damm book, and buy another copy.
If you are not much of a reader, try it sometime.

1 comment:

Olga said...

I don't like the idea of kindle, and any other electronic devices. Nothing will replace flippin' throught the real pages...I am in a midst of reading 3 at the same time right now (wait, 4!). Loving it!
Welcome back to training - and blogging. Your intervals are fast, but don't overhaul it, really. They only help for self-image and to spur you into other training (where LT100 is concerned). So, easy days have to be easy, hard days super hard. Great job on 10 lbs! I did that too, took me 1.5 months - carbs out, more weight training in. I'll need your talking for figure comp later, so you better walk your talk!