Tuesday, March 15, 2011

No Guarantees In Life

Well I found out today that the General Manager at the Chick-fil-a in Selma died this past weekend from a massive heart attack on his way home from work. He was 54. I didn't know Dan personally, but I go to the place at least 5 or 6 times a week. Every time I went into the store, he would be working a register, filling orders, or drinks just like his lowest level employees. He always had a smile and really set a great example for his workers and for the culture of the restaurant chain. He probably didn't have to do that, but he did and it was one of the main reasons I used to go there so often. Also because I liked the food.

There really are no guarantees in life. My own dad was 43 when he passed on. Here one day, and then gone the next. For me, I don't want to sit on my death bed having regrets for all the things I wish I would have done. That doesn't always mean how many races you do or how many places you see. It also means, how did you treat your neighbor. Did you smile and say hi, or did you just walk on in the house. It means, not compromising your integrity and being magnanimous. Things like that.Eevery day you wake up, you've got an opportunity to try again. One of my favorite quotes is:
It's not how many times you fall down, it's how many times you get back up.

So no matter how much you screw up, you have free will, and you can fix it. You can not fix the past, but you can fix your future.

Ran 6 miles, kinda crappy. Think I was dehydrated or something, just didn't come together very well for me. Was at Gold's. Working on heart rate training. I have decided on the clean and jerk with a front squat for time and reps, will probably be the single best exercise to increase the strength and size of the heart and it's ability to move massive quantities of blood. Besides actually running wind sprints, this movement is one I will be focusing on quite a bit. Using 135 barbell right now. Went 3 sets of 5 and 1 set of 4. Try it, and you will see what I am talking about. You can take your HR from 110 to 180 in about 10 seconds.

It looks similar to this, but only one squat and then repeat the movement:

No comments: